Monday, January 21, 2013

Eyes opened and proud

Five.  That is how many days I had down.  Five. The number of draft Coors Lights I had Saturday night during my birthday shindig.  I should feel bad, but I don’t surprisingly.  Having those few drinks was eye opening for me.  And here is why….
When I had that first sip I figured that I would have that “Oh I have missed you, you luscious favorite suds of mine”.  But to my surprise it was as gratifying as drinking a cup of water.  This was a good turn of events.  It showed me that I had not missed it as much as I thought I would. 
I was more conscious of the amount of beer I was drinking.  I usually would count the amount of beers and if it was a night out I usually lost track.  But that night I had five.  I am 100% sure of it.  And I also drank the crap out of some water. 
I realized while there, and with a buzz, that I probably would have had a better time if I did not drink.  This is huge for me, as I always thought I NEEDED to have a buzz to have fun. Quite the opposite.   Weird.
I had the WORST hangover yesterday and I was pissed about it.  I was pissed because I only had five beers AND I drank water.  I was bummed that my entire Sunday was spent nursing said dumb hangover.  The only plus side is that I got to take a nap, which I never do.
On a side note, Sunday used to be the day to start drinking at one and stopped when I went to bed, since football was on all day.  Drinking was the last thing that I wanted to do, and not just from having a hangover.
So I write this blog today to say that I do not feel bad for breaking my non drinking streak.  It let me know that I am not missing out on much.  It let me know that every once in a while I can have a drink socially and I will not pick up a 12 pack on the way home to continue drinking.  It also let me know that I am a strong person who just needs to keep up the good work.  My brain (and liver) grow stronger by the day.  Today I have to say that I am dang pretty proud of myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment